Working from home was previously witnessed only during extended periods of absenteeism such as long illness, maternity leave, travel etc. but currently, owing to the COVID-19 pandemic outburst it has turn out to be a norm with most of the business establishments worldwide. Though primarily, it seems fun, working from home for extended periods can distress your mental health and you might go through feelings such as solitude (if you stay alone), irritability, trouble to stay motivated, anger explosions, insomnia or extreme sleep, anxiety and sometimes even depression.
The fine lines between work and non-work are distorting in new and unfamiliar ways, and number of employees who are working from home for the first time are likely to struggle to sustain healthy boundaries amid their personal and professional lives. To validate your loyalty, devotion, and productivity, you may feel you got to work constantly. Afternoons would merge with evenings; weekdays will merge with weekends; and little sense of leisure will remain.
Drawing lines between your personal and professional lives is significant, mainly for your mental health.
Here are the tips to enhance mental health as you work from home during pandemic times:
So as to sustain a good work-life balance, there are few measures you can take to watch out for your mental health and emotional well-being.
Keep a proper routine
- Sleep and wake up at your consistent time.
- Perform your morning activities such as workout – rather in the open air. Ecotherapy is a best de-stressor. Ecotherapy helps lessen blood pressure and anxiety levels.
- Workout for 20-30 minutes every day greatly decreases stress levels, enhance endorphins and serotonin levels in your brain that assists you to feel amazing.
- Yoga – asanas, pranayama, meditation.
- If possible, change into office clothes – it helps when you join the online meetings.
- If conceivable, have a distinct workplace – not your bed or sofa.
- Have a relaxing, rather an ergonomic chair. It supports your back, neck and shoulder muscles. Some offices buy it for their employees.
Draw lines between work time and home time
- Keep a start and stop time – shut down from work at the end of the day.
- Fix up your goals for the day.
- Good time management.
Take consistent breaks
- Aids to break the boredom and decrease anxiety.
- Diminishes eye strain from persistent exposure to devices such as laptops and computers.
- Sleep well, mostly get 8 hours of sleep. Keep sleep hygiene.
- Have a good wholesome diet. Do not get into binge eating.
- Try out your hobbies, acquire new skills.
- Spare time to do activities such as dancing, cooking, listening to music etc. whatever makes you feel pleased.
- Connect with colleagues by online meeting, texts or phone calls. Some companies host consistent coffee and cocktail festivities virtually.
- Continue human connections by interacting with family & relatives at home.
- Communicate with friends either virtually or personally.
- Evade internet dependence – have a chosen amount of time for social media
So, with the aim of making the most of your potential, it is significant to have best mental health and well-being. Using these mental health tips, you’ll complete the workday feeling better-off, more accomplished, and less exhausted. This benefits in giving a sense of motivation and direction, energy to do everything you want to do and the capability to deal with the challenges that you might have to face in life.