Emotional exhaustion can occur when someone experiences a period of excessive stress in their work or personal life. When people undergo emotional exhaustion, it can eventually make them feel emotionally tired, overwhelmed, and exhausted. These feelings are likely to build up for a long period, though people might not observe the early warning signs.
This might affect the individual’s regular life, behavior and relationship. There are certain ways in which we can overcome the emotional exhaustion.
To lessen the emotional exhaustion and burnout, people usually have to make lifestyle alterations. In several cases, they might need medications or therapy. Here are several ways that can help in overcoming the exhaustion phase.
1. Reduce stress
Whenever possible, people must try to lessen the sources of stress. They can do so by taking on fewer tasks, pass it on to others or ask for help. The other way is to opt for moving to another role or organizations if your current workplace is the main source of stress.
2. Make healthful lifestyle choices
Living a healthful life can enhance physical as well as mental health and foster resilience. To do this:
- Consume a balanced diet__ high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean sources of protein.
- Avoid drinking much alcohol.
- Evade tobacco smoking.
- Do exercise for half an hour a day, every day.
- Create a sleep routine by going to bed at the same time each night and getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep.
3. Maintain a good work-life balance
Stress can be cured by taking a small break from routine work and do something creative. People must avoid letting work or caring too much for a closed one take over their work-life balance, and make sure they plan regular vacations and rest days.
People must take scheduled breaks during the day and take out time for things they enjoy at least weekly. This may include:
- Watching a movie
- Spending time with pets
- Collecting items, such as stamps or coins
- Walking in the park
4. Practice mindfulness
Everyday mindfulness practice might lessen the anxiety as well as depression and enhance the mood.
On the basis of research, people who practice mindfulness encounter less emotional exhaustion and higher amount of job satisfaction as compared to the people who avoid using mindfulness methods.
5. Change your attitude
Changing a person’s thoughts can alter their moods and behaviors. These small alterations can have a great impact on physical as well as emotional well-being. Examples of ways to alter negative thinking include:
- Paying attention on what is going perfectly in life rather than what is not
- Change negative thoughts with more positive or realistic ones
- Stop comparing your life with others
- Understand that sometimes negative feelings build up and not fighting them
- Living in the present rather than focusing on the past or trying to predict the future
- Know that these obstructive feelings will pass
Sometimes, a doctor might advice medication to cure depression or anxiety, like antidepressants, anti-anxiety medicines, or medications to assist sleep. It’s quite necessary to overcome the emotional exhaustion to live a better life.