Addiction is the absolute dependency on a specific substance or circumstance. Substance dependency includes a variety of substances apart from alcohol and drugs. Examples include food, chocolate, porn, pure nicotine, etc. Situation addiction includes gambling, shopping as well as sex among others. The problem in our society with addiction is it is treated like an option than as a major problem faced by an individual. De-addiction is the process of ridding the person of his dependence on certain substances or activities.
1. Rehabilitation psychology researches the process of de-addiction and helps addicts blend with the regular lifestyle. Rehab centers offer several forms of therapy to minimize substance usage.
2. Group therapy is always most likely to form therapeutic technique to deal with cases of addiction owing to the common feeling among users that individuals who aren’t addicted and do not understand what they’re going through. In those cases, it is instead important to have support from a group of people who are exactly where they are.
3. Family therapy is also necessary to make the individual know how their loved ones really feel and also remind them of the unconditional support.
4. Occupational Therapy is again a good alternative. In this kind of therapy, particular activities are exercised as an aid to retrieval from physical or mental illness.
5. Along with therapy, rehab centers teach life skills and cooperation. Apart from this, medicines are also prescribed to manage substance withdrawals, craving and dependence along with the weekly scheduled personal treatment sessions.
Although an unfamiliar concept in India, halfway homes are the next step after the rehabilitation. The individuals discover different skills and ways to manage themselves outside your house while still continuing their therapy. This is done to ensure that one doesn’t relapse right after the rehabilitation has been completed. The majority of rehabs also recommend group meetings. Even the groups supporting are extremely effective in the de-addiction process. ‘Alcoholics Anonymous’ and ‘Narcotics Anonymous’ are two of the most widely managed support groups around the worldwide.
Addiction is an immense problem which has actually spiraled out of control in today’s times. However, it is necessary to understand that it isn’t the question of the individual’s morality. The removal of labels and stigma is important in the whole process. Support from loved ones is an extremely essential step towards de-addiction, right after the acceptance that one is addicted. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can seek advice from a psychiatrist.
Individuals who are addicted to drugs often suffer from various other health (e.g., depression, HIV), occupational, legal, familial, and social problems that should be addressed concurrently. The very best programs provide a combination of therapies and other solutions to meet an individual patient’s demands. Psychoactive medications, such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety agents, mood stabilizers, and anti-psychotic medications, may be critical for therapy success when patients have co-occurring mental disorders such as depression, anxiety problems (including post-traumatic stress disorder), bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia. On top of that, most people with severe addiction misuse multiple drugs and require treatment for all substance abused.